Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Ghost of a Chance

 Wednesday 2 March 2011

Don't Faint I know this is the first review I've done in nearly 3 weeks! I am determined to catch up on the reviews I need to write starting with this one which is actually required since I won it from LibraryThing's Early Review scheme and if I don't get a review done then the Almighty Algorithm will make it harder for me to win anything else in the future :O

Title: Ghost of a Chance
Author: Rhiannon Lassiter
Date: 7/2/2011 AM
Source: Received for Review from LTER
Description: Imagine being both victim and detective in your own murder . . . Eavesdroppers never heard good of themselves. But she'd never expected to hear that she was dead.
How did Eva die? The rumours say she killed herself, but Eva knows different. Victim and detective in her own murder, she must solve the mystery. If she doesn't, more will die . . . (Description Taken from Goodreads)

My Review
Sometimes when you get a book to review that you didn't really know much about there's the risk of it turning out rather badly and then what the hell do you do? But I am very happy to say that this was not the case with Ghost of a Chance- no sirree I was most pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, I actually re-read it a couple of days ago and although I knew how it ended I still really loved the story and the characters.


Living in a crumbling old mansion, with centuries of family history Eva Chance is the black sheep of the family prowling about the House and gardens like a wild thing. It's on the day of her 16th birthday - April Fool's Day that she finds out something very shocking - she's in fact dead and somehow hadn't noticed. She's now got to try and discover who killed her and when most people can't see her it's gonna be a bit difficult without help.


That's where Kyra and her twin brother Kyle come in - when they begin to notice the strange things going on at the Chance House it becomes apparent that something supernatural is the cause and despite the fact that Kyra used to pick on Eva for being a bit weird, they both want to help her find out what happened to her.


This book had two great features going for it - really interesting characters that you could love even if they could be irritating (I'm looking at you Felix), and one heck of a mystery coupled in with all the creepiness of the House Ghosts. I had no clue how the book was gonna end and I was damn surprised when I found out and I loved it! The supernatural aspects of the story worked really well with the realistic aspects and overall the book was executed rather fabulously.


I found all the gruesome Chance family history fascinating and how it ties into the various ghosts which occupy the House. I'm sure anyone who's been to a supposedly haunted house would get a scary thrill from this aspect of the book. The tension from not knowing who is behind the attacks on the Chance family members makes for a very exciting read and I was determined not to put the book down until I'd finished it.


Overall a refreshingly unusual YA read with a wonderful mix of mystery, history and characters, and a really great ending that left me wanting to see more about Eva, Kyle and Kyra. Plus I gotta mention Nathan - the cutest five-yr old that I've read about in ages- on the three occasions that he appeared in the story I was grinning at how adorable and sensible he was compared to all those silly adults who smiled indulgently at the idea of a ghost in wellies :P 


My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars


Phew! So glad I've got that done! Now there's only like 6 or 7 to go... *headdesk* People don't let me get this behind again.

LadyV

1 comments:

Unknown 2 March 2011 at 14:47  

I got a copy from LibraryThing too! I didn't enjoy the book as much as you - gave it four stars because I felt it dragged too much. ^^

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP