Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Rosebush

 Wednesday 30 March 2011

DUDE!! It's taken me all month but I may actually get round to reviewing something!! I've been in a bit of a weird place recently and it's basically killed all my motivation to blog but I'm hoping that getting at least one post up might reboot my mojo. *crosses fingers* Here we go!

Title: Rosebush
Author: Michele Jaffe
Date: 2/3/2011 AM
Source: Bought
Description: Instead of celebrating Memorial Day weekend on the Jersey Shore, Jane is in the hospital surrounded by teddy bears, trying to piece together what happened last night. One minute she was at a party, wearing fairy wings and cuddling with her boyfriend. The next, she was lying near-dead in a rosebush after a hit-and-run.
Everyone believes it was an accident, despite the phone threats Jane swears were real. But the truth is a thorny thing. As Jane's boyfriend, friends, and admirers come to visit, more memories surface not just from the party, but from deeper in her past . . . including the night her best friend Bonnie died.
With nearly everyone in her life a suspect now, Jane must unravel the mystery before her killer attacks again. Along the way, she's forced to examine the consequences of her life choices in this compulsively readable thriller. (Description taken from Goodreads)

My Review
From just the synopsis of this book I knew it was gonna be my kinda read. The recent influx of mystery/thriller style books in YA lit that are mind-bending and tense without gallons of gore or scary shit (cos I'm kinda wussy like that) is so great as I love being able to feel the fear almost that the main character is feeling.

When Jane wakes up from her coma she's so confused and lost it takes a little while to get yourself grounded and get a grip on what's going on so as things start to take shape basically everyone becomes a suspect and you doubt everyone's intentions. It's so fabulous to not know who might be the killer cos when it gets to the climax you're totally surprised and you have that "ah ha!" moment after when *Everything* suddenly makes sense!


What I loved about the characters in Rosebush is that everyone from Jane, to her family and friends etc. felt really realistic as they all had some hidden depth to them and a disturbing number of her friends had some secret that they were keeping. Jane had the most awesome snarky sense of humour especially for a girl who got hit by a car and left for dead. My one quibble with her was that I felt she was a tad harsh on Joe her's mum's fiance - *I* liked him so I thought her continued prejudice against him was a bit unreasonable.


Throughout this book new snapshots of memory helps Jane piece together what happened to her that night and there are a freaky amount of revelations about people but we are kept guessing right up until the end as to who the actual killer is and dang if it isn't one heck of a climax! The tension just racked up as Jane starts to doubt her sanity in the face of all the threats, and it's almost kinda Black Swan-ish cos the lines blur between what's real and what might-possibly-but-we're-not-quite-sure is happening.

I loved the feeling of being scared for Jane and just how cleverly put together the whole story is made it such a fantastic read and even at the end of the month it's *still* my fav book in March. I can't wait to read what Michele Jaffe writes next- if it's even half as awesome as Rosebush was it's gonna rock my proverbial socks off!

My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


Holy cow I totes just finished a review! *passes out in shock*
Bring on the rest of my March reviews!
LadyV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP