Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Forest Born

 Thursday 10 March 2011

Ok this will be just a mini-review since I have neither the energy nor inclination to spend ages pondering over a long review. So apologies if I'm a bit spare with my opinions, I promise that there will be gushy lengthy reviews somewhere in the not-too-distant future.

Title: Forest Born (Books of Bayern #4)
Author: Shannon Hale
Date: 13/2/2011 PM
Source: Bought
Description: Growing up in the Forest, Rin always tuned to the trees when she needed peace or reassurance, even direction, until the day they seem to reject her. Rin is sure something is wrong with her, something that is keeping her from feeling at home in the Forest, keeping her from trusting herself with anyone at all. 
When her brother Razo returns to the city after a visit home, Rin accompanies him to the palace in hopes of finding a new sense of herself. But a mysterious threat haunts Bayern, and Rin joins the magical girls she thinks of as the Fire Sisters—Isi, Enna, and Dasha—as they venture into the woods toward the kingdom of Kel... where someone wants them all dead. (Description taken from Goodreads)

My Review
This is the fourth book from the Bayern Series. Rin was a really unusual character compared to Isi, Enna and Dasha in the first three books. She's quiet and helps everyone while still remaining in the background and nobody really notices all the conflict that's going on inside her. You know she's keeping something from the reader but you don't find out what that is for a while and it's quite surprising how things turn out. Rin's magic is much more subtle than the Wind, Fire and Water magic that the other girl's wield which makes it very interesting to read about as she discovers new aspects to her power.  

During the story there's also some very shocking revelations which connect quite a few dots relating to the plots from the other books and I thought that all the threads of story were tied up very well. The whole book had quite a dreamy quality to it and you sort of float through the story which was a little strange but I still enjoyed the book and I love the characters in this series especially Razo and Enna - they seem to get all the best quips.

Overall this was a most enjoyable read although out of the four books in the series I still think that The Goose Girl is my favourite. But since I love Shannon Hale's writing and her characters just having another look into the world of Bayern is enough to keep me happy.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

So folks... what do y'all think of the mini-review format for when I'm pressed for time? I'm only planning to use this style so I can get caught up on my February reviews which will leave me free to write longer ones for my March reads but if I can't seem to gather enough thoughts about a book at another time I shall perhaps revert to the 3 paragraph format y'dig?

LadyV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP