Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Booking Through Thursday - The Long and Short of It

 Thursday 3 June 2010

HAPPY THURSDAY!!! (sorry I'm just really cheerful at the moment)
Since I am now completely finished with exams for my fresher year of university *happy dance* I have the whole summer to be free and make merry which means bucket-loads of reading and hopefully some adventures. (I already have a trip to Barbados at the end of June but I also have a little book-buying excursion in the pipeline which shall be blogged about as it is book- related)

But this has nothing to do with today's BTT Question! *gasp*

 Which do you prefer? Short stories or full-length novels?


Well this is a terrifically simple question (which is good because I don't have long to answer it - la familia are due to appear soon) and doesn't require a huge amount of thought on my part (also good cos my brain is *fried*).

While I do like short stories on occasions, I don't tend to read them unless I happen to have bought a collection of them because I like the author or whatever i.e. The Birds by Daphne Du Maurier which has about 6 short stories all of them being rather creepy and somewhat disturbing. The problem with short story collections is that if there's only one good story out of the lot, then you're stuck with a book you only like to read a tiny part of which sucks really.

So it's fairly easy for me to say that I *much* prefer full-length novels because it gives me time to really get into the world and feel like I really know the characters. With short stories you never really have time to really get into the story before it's over. In fact, the longer stories are the happier I tend to be cos then I get more time with the awesome characters which is excellent.

This post is having to be stupidly short (for me anyway) because the parentals are on their way to the flat and we're going out for lunch. :)

So are you a short story person or a chunky book lover?
LadyV

If you didn't know- I'm having a 75 Followers Giveaway over HERE Check it out!!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  3 June 2010 at 13:12  

I agree with you, though. Good short stories are far and few between. There are so many great novels out there that just skew the results. :)

My response to BTT: http://lindsayreviews.wordpress.com/2010/06/03/booking-through-thursday-week-2/

j 3 June 2010 at 13:27  

I prefer full length stories. With a short story, I feel it doesn't usually give you enough time to invest in a character. So I end up not caring as much what happens to the character. But if an author I love write a short story, I will read it.

This is a great question BTW! Oh, and yay for summer! Glad you have more time to read now!

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR 3 June 2010 at 13:50  

I totally agree with you and my answer is here.

Congratulations on finishing finals and freshman year! I've never been to Barbados or anywhere near...hopefully you'll post some pictures for us when the time comes. :)

Enjoy lunch! (I wish it was lunch time here...just barely 9am here though)

gautami tripathy 3 June 2010 at 18:21  

I wish you the very best.

For me, it depends. I can read both.

BTT: long and short of it

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP