Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

In My Mailbox #1

 Sunday 24 January 2010

The "In My Mailbox" meme is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren and was inspired by a post by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie

Ok so this is my first IMM and even though I don't get books for review I thought "ah what the heck, I'll do it anyway". This is going to be a combined post for all the books I've bought so far in January so next week's post should be pretty empty.






On the Top is:
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks (I actually already have a copy but I've given the other one to my sister)
The Mysterious Affair at Styles and Taken at the Flood both by Agatha Christie
Selected Letters written by Jane Austen
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula le Guin
The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
and a gorgeous leatherbound copy of Villette by Charlotte Bronte.

On the Bottom is:
Rule Britannia, Mary Anne, The King's General and The Birds all by Daphne du Maurier
The Running Vixen and The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick
Sovereign by C.J. Sansom

All of these books except the two Chadwick books (which were sent to me via Amazon) were bought from second-hand bookshops around town and I probably saved about £40 off their original prices. As I'm a student I can't really afford to buy brand-new books from Waterstones or Wh.Smiths so I am addicted to charity shops and second-hand shops because a surprising number of bargain books can be found if you look hard enough.

I know it must seem odd that I say I read a lot of YA fiction and then have only 2 books which can actually be called YA out of the 12 books I've bought this month. It's mostly because I'm trying to expand my reading into other genres e.g. Mysteries with the Christie books. I'm also partly addicted to buying Daphne du Maurier books whenever I see them cheap because I love the covers and I intend on reading at least one of her books each month this year. If you haven't ever read one of her books - do it! Her writing is amazing and I've adored both of the books by her which I've read so far.

Anyhow I'll finish things up here as I don't wish to drone and I'm not feeling very well at the moment so it's early doors for me tonight.

See you next week!
LadyV

5 comments:

Maria (Serpentine Library) 24 January 2010 at 22:05  

That's a long list of books! I love reading Agatha Christie books, they're a nice break from YA. Enjoy your books!

PolishOutlander 25 January 2010 at 00:28  

I've read Daughters of the Grail by Elizabeth Chawick and loved it. I had to go ahead and order more of her books from the Book Depository. I haven't had a chance to read them yet but I was quite taken by the Grail book. Happy reading!

Stephanie 25 January 2010 at 00:30  

I am intrigued by your book pile. :-) Enjoy!

Brooke Reviews 25 January 2010 at 01:14  

That's a great stack of books there! I hope you enjoy them all! :)

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP